Microsoft has released final service pack for SQL Server 2012 on 3rd October 2017. It is Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 4 (SP4). After installation the service pack, the SQL Server service version should be 11.0.7001.0.
Microsoft SQL Server 2012 service packs are cumulative updates and upgrade all editions and service levels of SQL Server 2012 to SP4. This service pack contains up to and including SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 3 Cumulative Update 9 (CU9).
Where to obtain Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 4 (SP4)
SQL Server 2012 SP4, Microsoft SQL Server 2012 SP4 Express, and Microsoft SQL Server 2012 SP4 Feature Pack are available for manual download and installation at the following Microsoft Download Center websites.
SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 4 will include
- Scalability and performance improvements for the storage engine
- Improvements in consistency check performance
- Query hints to provide granular control while using Resource Governor
- Additional monitoring capabilities through enhancements in DMV, Extended Events, and Query Plans
- Improved performance while opening and reading XEL files by using the XEvent Linq reader
- Improved performance for spatial queries
For detailed release information https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4018073/sql-server-2012-service-pack-4-release-information